Friday night was a celebration that guests at the 2022 Pietermaritzburg and Midlands Chamber of Business Annual Banquet will not forget, not after a night of magic and wonder that brought the curtain down on an unprecedented two years of disease, riots, fire, and floods. Sponsored by Investec, the night resonated with the theme of making the impossible possible as satirist Bhekisisa Mncube, violin soloist Jane Baillie and internationally-acclaimed mentalist Larry Soffer enthralled guests.
It was also the night in which the city’s business champions were honoured with a series of awards that speak of resilience, courage and achievement.
The following Business of the Year awards were handed out:
• Manufacturing Sector: Preformed Line Products and Brink Towing Systems
• Retail/Professional Services Sector: Pietermaritzburg Eye Hospital
• State-owned Enterprise: Umgeni Water
• Medium Business of the Year: Anderson Engineering.
• Small Business of the Year: Phungela
• Champion Entrepreneur: Sugeshni Naidoo t/a Enermous
• Social Enterprise of the Year: Lifeline Pietermaritzburg
• Certificates of Recognition: The Witness and Ghela Outfitters
• Honorary Membership of the PMCB: Madan Ghela and Zinhle Sokhela.